Skip to main content

Admissions and Advising

The Veteran Services Advisor supports prospective military-affiliated students through the admissions process in addition to providing current students with academic advising and transition support.

Admissions Process  

Military-affiliated students should read the following information to get a head start towards successful completion of the SSU application process:

All students applying for admissions to Sonoma State University need to submit an online application via Cal State Apply.  *To be eligible for the application fee waiver, you need to fill out the form in order to be considered eligible and have a code when starting the online application process.

Contact a Strategic Enrollment Recruiter to receive pre-admission advising and support through the application process.

To make sure you are staying on track with the process and not missing any deadlines you can click on the following link:

*Note: It is highly recommended you have your military transcripts, i.e. Joint Services Transcripts (JST) and/or other transcripts from other accredited schools ready to be submitted to Admissions and may be used for credit for prior learning (CPL).  If you have questions regarding transfer of units, contact the Admissions & Registrar office:

Note: Sonoma State University prohibits any fraudulent, aggressive, and/or high pressure recruitment practices directed specifically toward prospective military students in order to secure service member enrollments.

Continuing Students

Service members who submitted a petition for military leave due to service requirements should notify the Office of the Registrar of when their requirements have been fulfilled and/or have documentation from their applicable armed forces unit.  For more information regarding enrollment go to:

Credit for Military Training 

Sonoma State University grants credit for military training in accordance with the recommendations from the American Council on Education (ACE). Undergraduate students will receive credit towards general education Area E by submitting their joint services transcript (JST).

Refer to your specific armed services education department in acquiring your (JST).  To create an account click the following link:  There is an option to have your JST emailed electronically to a specific institution.  For upper division major program credit units, direct your inquiries to the Office of the Registrar: for assistance.

Academic Advising 

All undergraduate military-affiliated students have access to the Veteran Services Advisor for advising with regards to: general education, university requirements, university policies and procedures, and resources either on or off campus. The Veteran Services Advisor is available year round, with the exception of holidays when the campus is closed and/or leave. Prospective and incoming students should also connect with the Veteran Services Advisor for an initial advising appointment by calling the MAVRC main line: (707) 664-2031 or email:  Current students can do this through LoboConnect in your mySSU student center portal or by calling the MAVRC main line: (707) 664-2031.

It is highly recommended that all students meet with an advisor regularly (this includes your major program advisor); at minimum once a semester.  Students should expect limited availability during peak advising times, generally the beginning of the semester, orientation, and around registration.

Current and prospective graduate and certificate program students need to consult with their department directly.